Hard lives, but what strikes me in watching this series of videos (the
title is "World's deadliest roads" but there's a great deal of social
information and commentary in many of them, not just old trucks plowing
through mud or skirting precipices) is how cheerful and, frankly, "normal"
the poor villagers seem, be they black African, Burmese, or Bolivian. More
cheerful and normal than the faces one sees in my nearby supermarket. Well,
the Afghans from remote mountain villages seem a dour lot, but they too
give off an aura of "normal." Speaking of which, I recall from 54 years ago
a week-long trek in Nepal back before the tourists (crowds) came, when the
only way to get into the Himalayan ("Hee MAHL ayah," not "Him uh LAY uh")
foothill hinterlands was footpaths or helicopters. We passed through small
farming villages where people still lived much as they had 500 years
earlier (any small consumer goods, tobacco, kerosene, matches, sugar)
brought in on porter's backs after several-day hikes. (We also came across
Tibetan freedom fighters taking small arms back to their country on
muleback.) I still all these years later recall being struck at the
"normalness" of the villagers: very, very cheerful, friendly, and yet
dignified in a way that we moderns are not -- as if they had a core that
we've lost. That also describes the Burundian and Bolivian peasants, if not
the impoverished African and Asian urban proletariat: a "center" that we've
lost.

And back to bikes: I recall chasing decrepit buses and lorries uphill
outside of Nairobi circa 1969 to 1973; also belching black smoke into my
face at 12 mph. (I also recall drafting the short wheelbase, private buses
downhill while spinning out my 48X14, and being frightened, 3' behind the
rear bumper, when the bus suddenly turned to follow a sharp bend in the
road -- no guardrails and steep dropoffs!