IME, 35 mm tires are fine on 700c, otherwise there starts to be a trade-off
between toe overlap and wheel flop. (Although, on 62 cm sized frames that's
minimized.) There's a reason all those slacked out modern mtbs favor wide
handlebars, IMO.

Anyhow, if you're ok with 35 mm tires (and no fenders), an older Trek,
Univega, Miyata, Fuji, etc., or an older Italian bike (late '70s / early
'80s) can give you the parameters you seek at that price range. I've owned
& ridden all of those (and still own some), as well as a QuickBeam (still)
and a SimpleOne (sold), and a Colnago Super. I've an ancient Fuji Supreme
that makes for a lovely knockabout 700c fixer, and even a 650b conversion
in 1x1 mode. The "plainiest" from recent memory was a Trek 400 in "60" cm
size, then the Colnago, then the QuickBeam. The SimpleOne was a bit more
stout than the QB, and that's the one I currently have and enjoy very much.

Another option is a Mercier Kilo WT – essentially a cop of the QB / SO, but
uses long-reach caliper
brakes.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott-wt-fixie-wide-tire.htm

... a friend of mine got one last year, and seeing it in person left me
impressed. Maybe others can chime in how it is in use.

- Max "1x1" in A2