This device is far too light and flexible to provide any support even for a
light bag; it's sole purpose is to be a stand-off to keep the back of the
bag from rubbing the stays or brake cable.

It works well for its purpose, *BUT!* it is prone to fall off at least on
some bikes if held in place only by it's designed-in tension and the
pressure of the bag; mine fell of into the rear wheel, fortunately at
walking speed so that the wheel was not hurt, and I was able to bend the
device back into shape. I use mine now only with a velcro security strap.