You:  Have a new Gus or Susie build and you are pulling parts together,
considering springing for Paul Love Levers, but hoping to back into
something that performs as well and isn't so pricey

Me:  Have the ongoing project of parting out a dear friend's bike

I'm now into the parts from Juel-Ann's bike that I am tempted to buy for
myself.  Up for sale is a practically NOS set of Shimano Deore XT M739
brakelevers.  These are from the mid 1990s before everything went to disc
brakes.  These are among the nicest V-Brake levers you could ever want (aka
Linear Pull, aka Long Pull).

In addition to having a nice and understated reach adjuster, they also have
a nice digital pull-adjuster.  With two inserts, they are long pull for
ful-sized V-Brakes.  With no inserts, they have a good pull-rate for
cantilevers or long-reach caliper brakes.  With one insert, they would do
with in-between setups, like maybe smaller-sized V-Brakes?

Anyhow, these are sensational and anybody who has an upright-bar rim-brake
build in their future would be pumped to have a pair of these on the
shelf.

$80 shipped, which is right in line with the going price on the second hand
market.  For cheaper than this, I'll "buy" them and they'll go into my
brakelever box.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Photos: