Greetings all,

I just joined the group, and I'd like to ask the collective about their
experiences converting a a drop bar road bike for use with a Riv Albatross
bar, and specifically the size of stem to use. Its not easy to do a search
on this without weeding through many FS or WTB posts for Albatross bars.

First, the bike that is being retrofitted: it is a 1977 Trek TX500, size 49
and 53 c-to-c seat and top tubes respectively. I believe that it was the
smallest size Trek available in their first(?) year of operation, and It's
a MUSA frame.

Second, the person that I'm building it for and its intended use: my
partner who already has a road bike with drop bars and a mountain bike with
mountain bike style bars. My thought was to build her something different
and more like the ride of my classic 3-spd Raleigh that I like riding about
town on.

I have the handlebars and they're currently set-up with a 1970s TTT road
stem, size 65 mm by my measurement. This seems too short and I was thinking
that a 90 mm maybe a better choice with how far back the handlebars will be
for a comfortable ride.

As to shifters, I'm now settled on Shimano bar end shifters. First, I tried
Paul Thumbies, but I know that she'll complain as even I think that it's
somewhat awkward shifting barcons retrofitted as thumb shifters. I know
some swear by their use but, I also know what she'll come to like in the
end, no muss, no fuss. Hell, I may end up putting shifters on the stem for
her, which will not be a bad thing. As Crumpie says, Just Ride the Bloody
Bike.

So, suggestions please, and feel free to contact me directly.

Russell Duncan
Leverett, MA and Saratoga, WY