I think my answer was a little convoluted, I'll try again:

Those cranks/rings weren't designed for indexing, a thing double rings
don't need anyway. With friction you move the derailleur exactly as much as
you want and it's almost index-like anyway cuz it's one movement forward
and one back. You need a friction shifter!