This doesn't really speak to tire width, but I continue to be impressed by
the RH knobby offerings. I love feeling confident that I can ride all day
on pavement, gravel or even singletrack and the tires perform admirably on
all surfaces. They're surprisingly fast, quiet, and feel great. I have 650b
x 48 Juniper Ridge on one bike, and 26" x 2.3" Humptulips on another.
Typically I run down to 24 psi for gravel or off-roadish stuff, and 30-32
psi if I'm going to be primarily on asphalt.