Bill laid out a good summary of the different ways people approach this
question.
I've only ever owned a single Rivendell - my 2004 Quickbeam.

   - As an answer to "what one Riv would you have among other bikes," it
   would be my Quickbeam. I have this. If I had TWO bikes, the Quickbeam would
   be one.
   - As an answer to "what one Riv would you have as your only bike," 10
   years ago it would be the Quickbeam, but today it would probably be an
   Atlantis or some well-used 1993 Allrounder. I'm older, fatter, slower, and
   I do longer rides and bike camp with other people. They do not ride fixed
   gears in that way, even those with Quickbeams. When you're riding with
   people it's more fun if you're rolling with similar equipment and rhythm.
   "You do pretty good on that thing" gets tiresome.
   - As an answer to "what one Riv would be perfectly optimized for a kind
   riding you love," it would probably be a Legolas.

Philip
Sonoma County, Calif