Tim,

A 3rd hand brake tool is very handy when setting up side pull brakes like
yours. As I recall, the trick is to have the brake adjuster turned out 3/4
of the way as you pull the cable tight and then tighten the bolt. Remove
the 3rd hand tool and turn the adjuster in until the brake pads are clear
from the rim.

JohnS