I have an older Nitto Campee with those same tabs..  I had the same
interference so I cut them off neatly several years ago and do still have
them in case they ever need to be tacked back on..   but I doubt I'll ever
need to do that.  I have sackville panniers (don't need the tabs) and some
80's LL Bean panniers (also don't need the tabs).  Also, there is a closed
loop near the bottom of the rack that would serve the same purpose for
hooking a strap, should the need ever arise..