I've found friction shifting 10 as easy and precise with the right setups
as friction shifting 7 or 8, if not easier and more precise.

My experience bears on a very particular setup for 10, though: cogs more or
less in series, Suntour barcons (versus at least Silver 1s), short cage (8
sp) rd, close ratio cassette (but all my 7s and 8s and 9s were close ratio
too), and 11 speed chain.

I'll bet that the circa 2010 short cage Microshift rd on my Fargo some 9-10
years ago would shift this setup even better, but that was blown up by a
stick when on a dirt ride on my Fargo.

Oh, and over 20 years ago, but same experience with Retrofriction dt
shifters and close ratio Am Classic 10 speed casettes pulling same DA 7401
or 7402 rd: again, wonderfully crisp and precise shifting. But I actually
prefer the barcons because they require far less lever pull (about 90* or
just a bit more for 10 cogs).