I've used cantilevers since the early 80's and while there are distinctions
among brake models, how it is set up, the frame mounts themselves, brake
cable and housing setup, and finally the riders own sensibilities, all play
their part in the experience of braking. In other words, there's no putting
a specific brake in a "box", saying it is this or that, and that's all
there is too it. There's just too many variables to consider to distill it
down into a box of words.

That said, I love me some low profile Suntour XC Pro canti's. For that
matter, I love any canti that uses full post pads, the original type. I
bought some low profile Dia Compe DC 988's a while ago and while they are
quite similar to the Sun Tour, they're not quite as easily adjusted for the
toe in as the XC Pro. Both come stock with road sized centered-in-the post
pads, by far my favorite, and both brakes readily clear the stays. I don't
why Riv laments there aren't any cantilevers that open fully anymore as
these Dia Compe 988's are right in there catalog and readily available.
They're popular with BMX riders too. Even with wonky offset post Koolstop
pads they can be shortened easily to more road size.

So while I've never used any Paul brake, regardless of the type it still
comes down to how the rider installs and applies it. That's the beauty of
cantilevers, they allow for the lightest of touches to feather the brake as
desired. It's not just on or off, one way only,.....so saying one is
more/less powerful the other is irrelevant when applied with some
intelligence.