On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 5:15:18 PM UTC-5 Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!
wrote:

> Where are you on the spectrum? What words of wisdom might you have? What
> strategies do you employ? Do you want to change? Or are you
> unapologetically staying put on the matter? It might be fun to hear
> perspectives.
>
> I'm in the "lucky to be able to afford several bikes for lots of different
purposes" camp. I don't obsess over them as precious objects - none of them
are "collector" bikes that will make my kids millionaires. I do, however,
like to keep them clean and well maintained. (Chain waxing is easy and
therapeutic.)  My wife and I gave each other a Santana tandem for our
wedding and rode it around Vermont for our honeymoon. Over the years of
riding, carrying it in or on the car, putting the kid converter on it,
getting hit by a car while towing our infant daughter in a Burley trailer
(!!!), it gathered its fair share of beausage. For our 30th wedding
anniversary we gave it a fresh paint job in Waterford French Blue and a
bunch of new parts. It's doing lighter duty, now, and staying pretty.
That's the thing about steel-framed bikes, right? You can have it both ways
over time.

My Rivendell Road just had a visit to the chiropractor. A week ago a
low-flying hawk took my front wheel out from under me. The scratches will
remain, but it's sure nice to have the frame straight again. Another 25
years and maybe I'll get it painted again, but I'll keep the Joe Bell paint
on there as long as I can.

My "errand" bike (complete with twin-leg kickstand, but no plate!) is a
custom Terraferma designed originally for brevets. The geometry is perfect
for carrying a bunch of stuff in the basket on the front. I keep it
reasonably clean, but it lives in the garage and is going to be riding on
salty streets soon.

This thread could easily occur on a Porsche mailing list, too. My Boxster
is definitely not "precious"!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA