Interesting discussions about benefits of and problems with kickstands.

Richard, I'm totally with you about how useful the double is.

For fun I looked back on Riv's website about 10 years ago (specifically Oct
2011) to see what they had written about kickstands in general and the
double Pletschers in particular:

*————————————————————————*

*KICKSTANDS*

   - Every bike that isn’t strictly a race bike will benefit from a
   kickstand, but kickstands turn off people by the tens of thousands. Why?
   Because of old associations with cheap bikes? That may be it. It must be
   it. But they’re no less functional on an expensive bike, and the expensive
   bike is the one you’d most like to not fall over, isn’t it? The one you’d
   least like to see topple?
   - Clamp on kickstands can smash and wreck thin chainstays…so if you have
   a history of stripping the threads on screws and peanut butter jar lids,
   stay away. Wrap the stays with bar-tape. Clamp securely but not
   oversecurely. Or better yet, get one of the Pletscher clamp-cushions we
   offer.
   - Few expensive bikes have brazed-on kickstand plates, but most of ours
   (not the Roadeo) do. That makes kickstands easy and avoids clamping damage.
   But it is possible to rip the weld apart if you, like, sit on the bike and
   fall over on the kickstand side. It has happened. No need. Be careful, and
   enjoy your kickstand.
   - We sell the Swiss-made Pletscher model, not the almost as good
   Greenfield. The story we heard is that Pletscher developed the inner spring
   mechanism, and Greenfield has adopted it (in a business agreement). Either
   way, they’re both good.

*PLETSCHER TWIN-LEGGER*

   - Single-leggers are fine & the way to go for daily use.
   - But if the lean angle exceeds such and such and the weight is more
   than so and so, a single-legged kickstand will be overwhelmed.
   - This Pletscher Two-Legger thrives in  those conditions.
   - We wouldn't offer it if it weren't spectacular. Here's how it is:
   - -- It works great.
      - -- It's clever.
      - -- It's Swiss.
      - -- It has heritage without being trendy and coveteous.
      - -- It's affordable, although just barely.
      - -- You can't buy it at the Five-and-Dime.
   - It weighs about 1.6 pounds.
   - As is the case with the single-letter kickstand, you have to cut it to
   size.
   - Here's what you do: [....]