Yeah, I had those on a fancy mountain bike for a while when I was still
into that (next trail bike will likely be an Atlantis, so you can tell
where my priorities are now). I didn't find them any better than trigger
shifters, or even regular old thumb shifters, which are my preference now.
I do have big hands so I guess normal shifters might be easier for me than
for some people, but I don't have any trouble shifting with my thumb while
holding on to the bar with the rest of my hand, so I didn't see any benefit
to these. I went back to regular Rapidfires after they failed. I also took
the thumb levers off of mine after a while and just shifted by pulling the
levers up and down; the thumb levers seem like an afterthought and aren't
too useful in my opinion.

Full disclosure, I also use downtube shifters on most of my road bikes and
even a rod-operated front derailer on one, so obviously I don't care too
much about shifter proximity to the main hand position. I currently have
three off-road bikes, and the handlebar/brake/shift situations are as
follows:
- Flat bar, Avid Speed Dial levers, one SunTour thumb shifter and
foot/manual front shifting (on a late 90s Nelson custom-for-someone-else
hardtail MTB from Wales)
- Moustache bar, Shimano 600 Tricolor aero road levers mounted a bit
farther back than Grant advises, SunTour bar-cons (on a 1983 Stumpjumper)
- Salsa Cowbell drop bar, more 600 tricolor levers, Shimano bar-end
shifters (on a humongous free Bianchi Volpe that's been great for
cyclocross)

Josiah
also in MT (Missoula)