Bilateral knee replacements are not uncommon, if patients are good candidates. “Good candidate” is a catchall term for lots of intangibles, such as patient motivation and expectations, medical comorbidities, at-home support systems, etc. I would imagine that most Rivendell enthusiasts have the health, motivation, and means to tolerate a bilateral procedure.

For postop pain relief the Cadillac option is something called an adductor canal catheter, which is basically an infusion of local anesthetic (chemically similar to Novacaine, such as you’d receive for a dental procedure) that lasts for up to three days. This targets sensory branches of the femoral nerve, which is responsible for sensation of the anterior thigh and knee. That’s where the incision is, so that’s where the bulk of the pain is. There is also some pain in the back of the knee mediated by the sciatic nerve, which is not affected by an adductor canal catheter, so breakthrough pain can still be an issue.

If I personally needed both knees replaced I would have them done at the same time.

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400