I have a 44/28 setup on my Hillborne with a Shimano 105 (FD-5700) front
derailleur.  I can't set it at the recommended height (1-3mm clearance
above large chainring) due to the rear of the cage hitting the chainstay.
 It shifts fine without dropping the chain off the large chainring.  In
fact, I watched a Park Tool video on proper set up of a front derailleur
and they state that if the gap between the ft derailleur and large
chainring is more than recommended it can cause the chain to be dropped
outboard.  Interesting, when I set up my Disc Trucker with a 42/28 and CX70
front derailleur, I was able to set the hight as recommended and it caused
problems with the chan being dropped outboard.  When I raised the
derailleur to create a larger gap to the chainring, it shift perfectly.