Has anyone heard an update on Grant's short brake pad project with Kool
Stop? He wrote about it in a blog post years ago. I'm old school and use a
fork mount roof rack or I  remove my front wheel when loading into the back
of my wagon. Being able to easily clear the pads with an inflated tire
would be so nice and this shorted pad would make life easier.

https://www.rivbike.com/blogs/grant-petersens-blog/gbw-sign-up

*BRAKE PAD BUMMEROONIE might be ending soon*
*Beginning in about 1990, cantilever brake makers started flipping the
shoepad from outside the arm to inside the arm, as a way to I don't know,
maybe reduce leverage and flex that was never a problem, anyway? But in
doing so, the pads moved so close to the seat stays and fork blades that
when you release the pads to remove a wheel, sometimes you can't, because
the pads don't open up enough. The frame may have plenty of room for, say,
a 2.4mm tire, but the brake pads, blocked by the frame and fork, don't let
the wheel come out.*
*Older cantilevers are better in that way. The only new one that works is
the Shimano CX50. The CX70 is discontinued. The Dia-Compe canti works in
the front, but is 2mm short in back.*
*We have faint hope but not zero hope that Shimano will redesign its
V-brakes. And--let me say this and please go along with it---Shimano
V-brakes are amazing and fantastic all in one, and this micro-bugger
doesn't wreck them. I don't think they'll do anything, though. They're too
market-driven, and the market wants discs.*
*BUT HERE'S SOME POSSIBLE GOOD NEWS: Kool-Stop (a brake shoepad maker in
Washington state), is aware of the issue and has agreed to study it a bit
and see how reasonable it would be to make a pad that clears with existing
brakes. We carved up some pads to figure out the dimensions and sent along
photos. They can do that themselves, but still--we are nearly begging them
to do this, and that's where it sits. I'm torn between suggesting you
contact Tim and Randy there to express your support, and NOT, out of
concern for how irritating that might be, and how they might not want to do
us any favors then, even tho it would be a favor to at least 50,000 other
riders in the bargain.*
*FLASH: They got right on it, and we'll see some shoes in a few DAYS. Go,
Tim and Randy!*