Winter cycling in colder climates is a fresh and wonderful form of joy. We
lived in Madison, Wisconsin for seven years and commuting by riding
straight across Lake Mendota was incredibly fun. Plus, I often had the
paths to myself and got a lot of entertainment from taking on big snow
berms. Ice and slush were a lot less fun, though. To each their own - I'll
certainly agree that NorCal can be a lovely place to ride. The things that
surprised me, though, are how incredibly narrow the roads are, and how most
trails prohibit cycling.
-W