Fixed gear riding keeps you on your toes especially around traffic. It's a
fantastic feeling having the bike instantly react with your fast twitch
muscles that keeps you really focused on the 'now.' I also think it makes
you a way better driver because it teaches you to scan your surroundings
efficiently. Single speed is much more relaxing and cathartic, and IMO
better suited for longer, hillier rides. My favorite things in life are the
ones you don't notice you're using and riding single speed puts a sorta
invisible shroud over your bike, leaving you to enjoy the scenery more and
think about your bike, less.

I'll definitely be going back and forth between 8 speed downtube shifting
and SS on my new Roadini thanks to Will's post...at least until my knees
start to complain.

Andrew
TN