I keep at it.  As I learn the traffic patterns on my route it becomes
easier to navigate safely.  I actually feel this when driving, walking or
biking.  I don't know the NJ traffic laws but in CA, if I'm approaching an
intersection (or even a parking lot) where I know lots of people turn
right, I'll take the lane.  Otherwise, if someone passes me and puts on
their right blinker, I pull out behind them in order to pass them on their
left rather than chance that they are going to wait for me to pass them on
their right before completing their turn.  But, when I take a lane it is at
full gas and I yield the lane, demonstrably, as soon as safe to do so. I
consider myself an actor - I want the drivers to be able to read my
actions.  I want them to know I know they are there, that I might be in
their way but that I am as going as hard as I can and will get out of their
way as quickly as I can.  Yeah, some get pissed, some try to intimidate,
some try to scare but I think it very, very rare (next to never) that
anyone intends to do me harm.  Honestly, I experience all that when I'm in
my car or on foot as well.  For some people, you will always be in their
way no matter what so I try (too often unsuccessfully) not to take it
personally as a cyclist when someone does something that I don't like.
Lots of times, someone just makes a mistake.  I know I make them.

Then, at night, I'll sometimes wobble my front wheel hoping the moving
headlight will be more noticeable.  I have no idea if that is effective or
not.

I don't use a mirror but have recently used a Garmin radar detector
sometimes.  It can be useful but I don't find it essential and try never to
rely on it.  I'm a huge believer in head checks (part of the "acting"
business) - it is my blinker.  In traffic, I'll generally use three head
checks, when I can, before I move.  The first very quick check gets my left
ear out of the wind and alerts traffic I'm contemplating something; sounds
clear - the second gives me quick shallow look; look and ears tell me
following traffic knows I'm up to something and usually slows so now I take
a third, deeper check to make sure I can move - arm signal and then an
appreciative wave in thanks if someone slowed for me. For me, nothing comes
anywhere close to a head check in getting motorists attention and
response.  Maybe it is the clear indication to motorists that I am IN
traffic, I am NOT some debris in the gutter?

The other thing I do is try to pick my times.  Sometimes as little as 10 or
15 minutes can make a big difference in volume and patterns.

Of course, there are times when nothing seems to work but getting out of
bed in the morning is risky yet I do it everyday.  Cycling gives me so much
satisfaction that I deem it worth the risk.

Bill S
San Diego