Oh, and further to Collin's point about the flood risk from channelizing
the river: the Sacramento River is expected to overtop the Fremont weir
starting tomorrow for the first time since 2019, which was before I moved
to town. This causes the river to flow into the Yolo bypass rather than
flooding the city. Interstate 80 crosses the bypass on a causeway and I've
heard descriptions of the 2017 flow through there that sound apocalyptic.
Nothing in the forecast indicates that we will see even a third of that
flow, but it is going to get wetter and wetter over the next few weeks, so
who knows?

Bike content: a week ago I rode out into the bypass on some gravel roads -
it was so refreshing to find a local ride that doesn't involve cars! Looks
like that'll be impossible for a little while.
-Wes