Had this problem on two of my Sam Hillbornes over the years. My solution
was to take a hacksaw to them, and just cut the corners off the offending
area at 45 degrees. Used painters tape on the stay to protect it, then just
filed and sanded the the exposed end flat. Took the cut off piece to drug
store and found some nail polish that was close match and just touched up
the one exposed edge. Sorry, no pictures and did not have an issue with
current Sam or Joe.