I just faced the similar questions with my Sam Hillborne for a
century.  I'd intended to swap out the Jack Browns for 30cc Grand Bois
and remove the fenders and the racks.  Ultimately, I just removed the
rear rack (a touring rack) and left the rest of the bling on and
enjoyed my century ride.  This also afforded me an opportunity to
evangelize about the benefits of useful bicycles made of steel and
equipped with fat tires and fenders.

D.G.