On Friday, February 17, 2023 at 10:20:20 AM UTC-5 brok...@gmail.com wrote:
Thanks everyone! There's kind of an interesting story behind that sailboat
that I've since learned about; the two occupants had to be rescued by our
local Coast Guard station. I know nothing about sailing, but the day it
washed up was definitely NOT a day you would've wanted to be out on the
water in any type of craft. Why they were out in open water that day is
beyond me. I have no idea how a boat like that gets unbeached, but I'm
hoping to find out soon! I'm fascinated to know the process.

Well, at the risk of taking this pretty far off topic ... I have a fair
amount of experience here ... people very often overestimate their skills
and underestimate the conditions on the water. A crew of two on that boat
could pretty quickly be overwhelmed and may have had some kind of equipment
failure.  In particular, if they lost their engine, couldn't set an
appropriate amount of sail, and didn't have a sea anchor, they had no
chance.

To put this sort of on topic ... it's not that far off from cycling in
challenging conditions and terrain. Knowing how to anticipate and deal with
changing conditions and keep yourself safe (and having the right equipment)
is a skillset that needs to be developed.

Removal from the beach depends on how much extra tide there was in the
storm. From the photo it looks like they will probably be able to pull the
boat back to deeper water with a normal high tide, probably waiting for a
full moon for a little extra, and hoping for not much wind. Power boat off
shore, a couple of lines to the bow, spin it so the bow is pointing out and
slide it across the sand.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA (but grew up ocean sailing off the US east coast)