On Saturday, March 4, 2023 at 8:23:32 AM UTC-6 Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!
wrote:

Who else has tortured their family with their own love of bicycles? Who
else has told themselves, “Well, it’s good for them.”

Leah once again starts an epic thread. It's much more (fun) when they get
to be middle school age!

My wife and I honeymooned in Vermont on our Santana tandem. Yes, 27" wheels
with 1 1/8" tires, right, Jock? So, around the time our daughters were
middle school aged, we bought another tandem (Co-Motion Periscopa) for a
family Christmas present and the following summer packed up the minivan and
headed for Vermont. We started out with adult/child pairs on each, and it
was immediately obvious that one pair was a lot faster than the other. We
struggled through a rainy first day that way, and tempers were short in our
soggy tent that night. The next morning dawned clear and beautiful, but
after the first hill it was clear we needed to change things up. We put
both kids on the Co-Motion and they disappeared up the next hill, leaving
the old folks behind. The smiles on their faces didn't disappear the rest
of the trip. Considering how rocky their relationship could be (middle
school girls, remember...) it was a miracle. We were just glad we didn't
take too long to figure it out!

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA