So here’s a 3-month followup for those interested. Brief recap: I was querying the list about the ~18 cm difference between my 93 cm PBH and 75 cm saddle height, which is at odds with the recommended ~10-11 cm.

First off, I decided to really make sure that I was measuring my PBH accurately. My prior estimate of 93-94 cm was based on Riv’s recommendation to put a yardstick between your legs and pretend like you’re trying to lift yourself off the ground. It’s a clever descriptor, but not foolproof — to some extent the value you get depends on how much discomfort you can put up with. This time I went with “firm but not intolerable pressure” as an endpoint, instead of “trying out for the Vienna Boys’ Choir.” After multiple measurements I wound up with a new PBH of 91 cm.

I then raised my saddle from 75 to 79 cm, which brought things to a much more reasonable 12 cm difference between saddle height and PBH. The Catalyst pedals that I favor, which are designed for midfoot pedaling, account for another 1-2 cm, per the manufacturer’s recommendation. So that brings me squarely in line with the 10-11 cm guideline.

So how does it feel? I have to say, much better. Pedaling efficiency seems improved, and it feels like I’m engaging my core more. My shoulders are more relaxed, and the hand numbness that I’ve struggled with off and on for years has basically resolved. My hamstrings also seem less tight. In this more leaned over posture, the backs of my upper thighs were brushing against my B68, so I switched back to a B17 (no the B68 isn’t for sale).

I guess the moral of the story is that I’ve never approached bike fit systematically — I’ve just kind of vibed my way to what seemed right, and that has been to my detriment. Thanks to everyone for the input, it’s really made a difference in my riding.

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400