I've recently been riding my more traditional geometry fixed gear quite a
bit for "urban commuting". Out of necessity I've been standing and
"mashing" more on inclines. I recall most of my "traditional diamond frame
bikes" I would stand and pedal a fair amount.

Every time I switch back to my Clementine with Boscos I find standing
pedaling to be quite un-natural feeling with my hands more or less by my
thighs. It works for a short burst to speed up my cadence but doesn't seem
like an option for sustainable climbing.

It's got me thinking with the laid back seat tubes, swept back bars, what
is peoples instinctive climbing methods on "hillibikes" (not traditional
geo rivs)

Seated spinning? Or have you found a method of standing and pedaling that
works well.