Thanks Keith, all this is helpful as I’m still tweaking things. I don’t
need fenders right now, so non-rubbing space is my main focus.

Also, I’ve been having fun measuring the same tire on different rims, since
we all know that tire fit depends on more than just the nominal size on the
side of the tire. Here are the actual widths I found for a 700x32 Gravel
King SS tire installed on three different inner diameter rims (in
parentheses), each inflated to 60 psi with tubes.

Mavic Open Pro (15mm) - 30mm wide tire
Velocity A23 (18mm) - 31mm
Velocity Quill (21mm) - 32mm

Obviously, with the exact same amount of rubber, the Quill install that
measured 32 mm wide was less high (I didn’t measure that) than the Open Pro
install at a narrow 30 mm.

Dave, who thinks 700x32 tires are a definite sweet spot