It depends on why you need padding. For me, it's not just about the padding
--- I could ride without gloves, but a physical therapist once told me that
he wouldn't advice me to do so after seeing nerve damage from other
patients. The placement of the pads to encourage your hands to be in a good
posture also makes a big difference and that's where the Specialized BG
gloves shine. For around town rides and for riding in the rain, I
frequently do without gloves since soaked gloves are much worse than bare
hands.