Matthew,

Thank you for your post and your successful update.  This inspired me to
try.

I have been successful for two different forks - one a modern Soma road
bike fork and the other a mid-90's Trek Multitrack fork.  Used a bright
yellow insulated 22 ga. stranded wire to fish with.  Was able to use a
combo of a single wire strand from a discarded brake cable to 'hook' the
wire out of the second hole or a very fine set of tweezers to grab it.
Yes, lots of patience and pushing and pulling to see where that darn wire
was.

I used (new) B&M double strand wire for the connections.  Removed about 1"
of insulation from the B&M and removed about 1.5" of insulation from the
yellow fish wire.  Twisted the stranded wires together to form a good
decent bond.  *Gently *pushed and pulled the assembly through.  Lots of
patience.

*Note: Like you I physically removed both forks from the bikes - yes lots
of disassembly and time!   Mounted each fork in a vise for stability and a
powerful flashlight. Was it worth it?  I think so.*

Best regards,

Jeff
Claremont, CA