Oh sheesh, how about  "If the rings are not flush with where you place the
spacers, well then you must add/subtract that distance from each other".
Some chainrings are thicker than others. that said, it doesn't have to be
exact, you simply don't want to use something much too thick, like a 5mm
spacer !