I had the same experience after installing 559 X 28 Elk Passes (175 digital
grams) to replace 571 X 23 Michelin Pro Races (different rims of course).
The PRs were better than the light version of the Conti Grands Prix that I
used previously, but the Elk Passes felt as if I were riding on a "good
day" instead of a tired day; and that feeling remains after 8 years. (I
shod the 2020 Matthews with the EPs and it felt fast! Then I replaced the
EPs with the 42 mm Naches Pass ELs; these feel darned good, but the bike no
longer has the feel of "accelerate!" that it did before (and the handling
also loses some "crispness).

Ditto when replacing the 50 mm F Freds -- which felt fast when I rode them
-- with the lightest 60 mm Big Ones: again, consistently over time and
repeated conditions I pedaled in a gear 1 tooth higher.

Tho', odd: My Herse had some mediocre tires; IIRC 32 mm Pasela wire beads;
and I'd bought the bike cheap because the previous 2 owners thought the
tubing too thick and unreponsive. But the fit felt "perfect" from the first
ride, and with that bike too I routinely rode 1 tooth smaller in back. Odd.