I’ll give you my two cents. I ride a previous generation 62cm 2TT Appaloosa
set up with Billie bars and a 64cm Black Mountain Cycles monstercross bike
with drop bars. I ride pavement, gravel and dirt roads which can be steep
and rutted, but mostly in good shape. I really like the Appaloosa as an all
arounder and could see it being set up with drop bars-it is smooth and
comfortable and very stable. I do not think it would feel like a road bike
in any set up because of the long chain stays, and it is a heavy bike
(although it rides lighter than it feels). Both bikes are set up with
700x47 tires and by comparison my Black Mountain Cycles feels much quicker
in handling, yet still stable enough to handle any rough gravel road. I
think you might find the Appaloosa too much bike, and to me seems more like
a mixed terrain touring bike. As far as Rivendells, I would think a Sam
Hillborne would be a better drop bar choice for your needs with shorter
chai stays, slightly quicker handling and the ability to run a good sized
tire. I would like a Hillborne to complement my Appaloosa, but my BMC works
so well that I can’t really justify it. Maybe someone will give you some
thoughts on a Roadini for your purposes.
Randy in Wisconsin