When I was a young racing cyclist in Western Australia some 50-plus years
ago, it was still a legal requirement for a bicycle to have a bell. This
was more honoured in the breach than the observance, and I never saw or
heard of a recreational cyclist being pulled over because they lacked a
bell, but you could be excluded from the start line of a race by a
bloody-minded commissaire if you didn't have one, so we would buy cheap
aluminium bells, drill them out like Swiss cheese, this being the age of
drillium, and fasten them under the saddle.

Western Australia had also previously had the requirement for bicycle
number plates, and although that was no longer the case when I arrived
there in 1963, you still saw quite a number of bicycles being ridden around
with number plates still attached:
https://historical.cc/news/2017/5/12/wa-bicycle-number-plates.

Nick Payne