+1 on Mezcals; I'm running a 2.6 & 2.3 on my Clem and they are shockingly
well-behaved on pavement for a knobby while still being more than adequate
on singletrack. They also offer a tan-wall version if you can't stomach the
gray; both can be found for $30-40 on BikeInn. Vittoria also has an ever
faster looking tread (Terreno) that might be worth a try (and can also be
found for ~$35 on BikeInn):

https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/tires/mtb-xc/terreno