Eric,

Sorry to hear about your misadventure. Thanks for the photo of the pretzel. Did the photo you originally pulled over to take turn out to be worth it?

Dustin in VA

On Jul 23, 2023, at 3:13 PM, Eric Marth <ericma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey gang — I was out for a Sunday ride and stopped to take a picture. I rolled to the side of the road and did not see the culvert, hidden with fresh grass clippings. I tumbled over at low speed. I'm fine!

When I stood up I noticed my drive-side bar end shifter had rotated 90º. And my derailer hanger and the derailer were bent. I spun the crank while off the bike and it seemed to move okay so I thought I'd give it a go as a single speed.

I pedaled for a few strokes, then nudged the shifter. It was at that time the derailer turned upside down and inside out, bending into the spokes and throwing the chain. It was really fun!

<Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 3.05.28 PM.png>

This is my Hillborne, my most-ridden bike. I'll see if the hanger can be bent but I have a feeling it will require some work from a frame builder. That's a Suntour Cyclone. Fortunately I have five of them (including this one). You might recall the cage tension spring in my previous Cyclone recently failed. This is one of the replacements I picked up. It was in excellent shape but now it's going to the salvage bin.

While I was waiting for a ride four people stopped to ask if they could help me. One was a cyclist who said "You need anything?" I replied "I need derailer hanger, a rear mech and a welding torch!"

Hope your weekend rides weren't so mechanically eventful.

Eric