I remember *Bicycle Guide* praising those Sequoias for their fine ride and
careful craftsmanship, but they pointed out that the bikes weren't
particularly light. Sport-touring? I also remember Specialized having a
full-bore touring bike with all required the braze-ons for fenders/racks 3-
water bottle braze-ons called the Expedition, appropriately and I seem to
recall in *Bicycling *ads that these were dark blue. Maybe that's what your
friend toured on?