Sure thing.

I have an XD2 with a 40 outer and 24 inner paired with the Jim 11-36
7-speed cassette on my Sam. The gear range is wide and every ring
combination is useable. The chain is a 9-speed and the RD a Shimano XTR
rapid-rise. Before the XTR, I had the Altus M310 which worked without
issue, the XTR came up on the list and I had some extra cash to burn and
wanted to try rapid rise, You'll need to find an FD that can handle the
jump from the large to the small ring. Also, be careful when shifting down
to the smaller ring up front, you can drop the chain and form a nasty
pretzel.