A project is always a good excuse for buying a new tool, as a friend of my
use to say. May as well splurge on the alignment tool and see how it works
out. Personally I'm suspicions of the elongated bolt hole, not sure why,
but it doesn't look good. Any frame builders in a hour or two drive from
you? If I were in your shoes I would take it to Bilenky Cycle Works
<https://www.bilenky.com/> in Philly, I've heard good things about them and
they always have great looking bikes at the Philly Bike Expo.

Good luck,
JohnS