Thanks, it may well be that this ring is made from softer aluminum than the
others -- Sugino as well as other brands -- I've used. As for Phil bb
bearings, I've had good luck, but I would have tried a SKF if they came
with 130 mm spindles. Apparently the cheap Stronglight JP400 ($28, plastic
cups, but should fit Phil and Shimano cups) have good bearings and it comes
in a 131; might buy one of those in addition to the refurbishment of the
Phil bb.