On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 7:40 AM Ted Durant <teddur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have had nothing but VERY positive experiences with Rene Herse tires and
> I don't think their prices are out of line with other options.

 I think that's only true if you pay retail for your tires. I don't. It's
very common to find Continental tires well below MSRP (
https://bikecloset.com/product/continental-terra-speed-700-x-40-cream-sidewall-fold-protection-tr-black-chili/
sells the Terraspeed for $40). Try finding Rene Herse tires for anywhere
close to that price. You can't. I can buy 4 Terraspeed tires for the price
of a pair of Rene Herse tires. The difference is just as extreme if you
compare Continental GP5000 700x32 against the Rene Herse equivalents.

I'm a cheapskate though, and don't hesitate to run $10 SRAM 11s chains when
I can find them, and back before tires were cheap in the US I'd import them
from England or other places in Europe where there's significant price
competition for bike parts. At one point when Avocet was going out of
business I bought a 3 year supply of their tires at $10/pop.