The OP has repeated that they are not mechanical.  The thing that isn't
clear to me is whether the OP wants to be mechanical.  If you have a bunch
of broken shifters, and want to learn how mechanical people visualize a
mechanism working and how they use that knowledge to diagnose and remedy
failures, then it sounds like the OP needs a mechanical mentor.  You should
find somebody who you trust and who is generous with their time and want to
describe their process to you.  Have them take one apart with you
watching.  Have them explain what they are seeing and what they think they
want to do to fix your shifter(s), or tell you they are all hosed and throw
them away.  It's hard to be a mentor over a google group.  Mentorship
happens in-person.

If you can't find or don't want to find a mentor, maybe you want somebody
to just try to fix them for you so you don't have to think about it?
Again, that person should be somebody you trust, so if they say "these are
hosed" you won't feel like it's a waste throwing them out.  Again, it would
be nice if it was somebody who was either generous or owed you a favor so
that if they succeed, it's free, and if they fail, it's still free.  People
who work on things for a living are usually $50/hr to $100/hr pros and
there's no way this project will be worth paying a pro what they deserve to
be paid.  Maybe there's a volunteer here who you'd mail your shifters to,
and they can mail them back fixed.

I don't know this for certain, but I think there's a non-zero chance that
they are not even broken.  The symptom described could be just a setup
issue, as I understand it.  The mechanic who does the diagnosis would be
able to be conclusive on that.

If you do decide your shifters are hosed, I recommend you upcycle them into
key chains.  Shift levers make great keychains.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA