I expect that the modern biomedical sciences simply don't have the right
epistemological or conceptual apparatus (having in mind the scientific
parable of the fishing net: "what my net doesn't catch isn't fish") to
capture everything that constitutes true nutrition. I know that in
traditional Chinese cooking the attitude toward food and care with which it
is prepared is said to affect the effect of the food on the eater. I think
this involves the *chi* which I know does not belong to any physical
category (it's not "spiritual" but relates to the level of "vital force,"
not reducing this to physical categories either). And other writers say
that it is the organic integrity of the soil that determines the nutritive
(again, not solely in terms of modern categories) value of food -- simply
shoving in nitrogen and other elements is not enough. (
https://www.treehugger.com/who-invented-the-idea-of-organic-farming-and-organic-food-4862673,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_James,_4th_Baron_Northbourne)

I agree that Pollan's is a good rule of thumb.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 6:26 PM Jay Lonner <jay.lon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It’s really bizarre to me that despite many impressive advancements in the
> biomedical sciences we still haven’t nailed down what constitutes the
> optimum human diet. I try to follow the well-known heuristic from Michael
> Pollan’s book “In Defense of Food” — “eat food, mostly plants, not too
> much.” (“Food” here is understood to be something that might have been
> recognizable to one’s great-grandparents, which is to say not synthesized
> in a lab somewhere.)

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters,

and other less well defined but still important writing services.

*When thou didst not, savage,*

*Know thine own meaning, but wouldst gabble like*

*A thing most brutish, I endowed thy purposes*

*With words that made them known.*

Shakespeare, Tempest, Act 1 Scene 2