What about cutting the cable off flush and drilling down with a fine drill
bit partway into the cable head and tapping it with a hammer, or perhaps
using a very fine nail as a tap, holding it with pliers and striking the
nail with a hammer. Have you tried soaking it in boiling water?

Russell Duncan
Saratoga WY