In my case, stripping off the two Ortlieb PVC rolltop panniers with their
ever-present load (2x Kryptonite New Yorks and about 15 lbs of accidentally
hoarded tools/snacks/raingear/bungies/emergency glucose-boosting sodas
etc.) drops the weight of my daily rider by at least 30 pounds. By your
(presumably sarcastic) formula, that's 2.5 MPH faster right there.

And when I switch to a bike that's a scoshe smaller, with no
racks/lights/generators and lighter tubing/components/rims/tires to get
down to the low 20-pound range, that's when the benefits of putting 90%+ of
your miles on a 55 pound RV of a bike really shows up.

Even though I realize these numbers in theory, it's always a surprise to me
how much faster I am on the gofast bikes. Maybe I'm unteachable, or lack
object persistence or something.

Thread relevance: Merino tops, jeans/chinos, Ankle Biter leg straps, almost
all day almost every day. My old leather straps (Selle An-Atomica used to
throw in a pair of matching leather leg straps when you ordered a saddle,
if you told them you commuted on a bike) of I can't find the Ankle Biters;
they're ancient, the velcro patches are coming loose, and no glue I've
tried seems to hold them down.

Peter Adler
Berkeley, the geographically smaller but demographically larger CA