I keep thinking it might be easier now (2023) to do a lugged frame than it
was 10 years ago because…
You can design the frame with a CAD program, design the lugs with the same
program, and print the lugs using a 3-D printer.  If you don’t print the
steel lugs themselves, you can use the 3-D printer to print a wax lug,
which you can then cast in steel.
Suddenly, everything fits.  The lug fits the geometry of the tubing.  If
you make a bigger or smaller frame, it won’t be “we only have lugs for a
55Cm, but this is a 60Cm”, because the printer can just print the correct
lug.

Having spent 45 years working in aviation, I know that the skills required
to weld/braze thin walled steel tubing are every bit as demanding as
brazing on a lug.  And the CAD tools today are outstanding.