How much do you like the 1 and 2T hops of the 11-28? If you find yourself
shifting 2 or more cogs often, then a very wide range cassette might be a
better fit, but if you like the fine tuning of your 11-28, then maybe it’s
time for a front derailleur.

I went from 3x9, 24-36-46 with 11-23 to a “one by with bailout gears”
setup: 26-42 with a 11-28 11 speed. I really do use the 42 as a 1X most
rides, and only shift the FD if I’m climbing a big hill, which turns out to
be about 1 ride in 4, or so. Plus, I’ll often only use the FD twice in a
ride, one down and one up shift. I may even replace my left Silver bar end
with a downtube shift lever instead. My physiology puts my left knee (but
not my right) awfully close to the handlebar end when I stand while riding,
so I have bumped the shifter once or twice a year.

A 30-46 with your 11-28 would let you keep what you have for some (most?)
of your riding, and give you a bailout chainring. A 30x28 is functionally
about the same as a 46x44.

Drew