Leah, there are alternatives to the Technomic stem, I assume you have the
regular/non-deluxe 280mm tall one in a 100mm extension, correct ?
A combo of the Nitto quill stem adapter in the 225mm quill length in
addition to a positive rise threadless stem, in this case a 120mm +/-17
degree one will will give the same height as a tall 280mm Technomic with a
100mm extension, plus an additional forward extension of 21mm. Same bar
height, +21mm extension so you can use any normal setback seatpost and you
don't have to be so far back, which is in itself a whole 'nother subject
that I've discussed in the past. aka "going backward of the bottom bracket
for more reach forward is going the wrong direction". Symptoms of being too
far back include not being able to stay seated on climbs and/or needing
lower gearing because you can't use your core muscles efficiently while
seated uphill. If you can take your hands off the bars uphill and still
pedal relatively effectively(not losing power), that's a sweet spot of
effectiveness :)

You may find however that in going forward you may want the bars slightly
lower, don't be afraid to experiment !

The Nitto adapter is in stock at Alex's Cycle from Japan for $49, plus $23
shipping (if that's all you bought). Nitto makes a 120mm, +/-17d 25.4 bore
stem, the NJ-89 I think it's called. You may be better off buying one with
a larger bore + shim rather than a 25.4 in case you ever changed bars to a
larger bore. If not just get the NJ-89. Alex's has that also. I have not
seen a lower priced non-NJS Nitto stem in 25.4 bore with a +/-17degree
rise/fall.