Greetings! I've completed some changes to my Gus that I was not at all
certain I needed. Although I have been very happy with the bike since
building it I was curious about a couple of things. First, rapid rise was
an itch I wanted to scratch. I splurged on an N.O.S. T400 Nexave from a
group member here. Along with this rear mech. I had been wanting Silver 2
shifters since new. I'd built the bike with a few items I had on hand
including Microshift thumb shifters. They were just "ok" in comparison to
the Silver shifters on my Clem. But, the Nexave does not have a barrel
adjuster and the Silvers do not either. However, as many of you are aware
the Silver 2 shifters available from Bluelug do have barrel adjusters, so I
ordered those. Bluelug service is fantastic! I had the shifters in less
than a week all the way from Tokyo.
The BIG change and the one that made me a bit nervous was my decision to
try a different handlebar. The whole reason I even got the Gus to begin
with was my absolute love of my Clem L with Bosco. The promise of a
slightly more trailworthy bike with all the comfort of the Clem was my
motivation. I never even considered any other handlebar for the build. And
it has been great. But, riding one of my favorite rowdy trails revealed
certain shortcomings of the Bosco. It's not that I could not ride the
trail, but rather a slight hesitance to do certain things - like a fast,
rooty decent. Also, the Gus pretty much felt like a bigger Clem as the
cockpits were identical. So I started getting curious about different
handlebars.
My search led me to this "Albacore" handlebar from Hope Cyclery in nearby
Pennsylvania. It is a collaboration with Leker Leks, custom bar maker in
Philly. It is very wide - 785, with generous sweep - 60 degrees. My hope
was to get into a bit more aggressive position without sacrificing comfort.
The bars design meant I could not use my existing 100mm Nitto V stem. In
addition the new bar has a 22.2 clamp size & I do not like shims. I lucked
into a Paul Boxcar in 35mm length & 22.2 clamp!
Over the last two days I've managed 40 miles of singletrack. I could not be
happier with the changes. Rapid Rise is so good! The new cockpit really
kind of transforms the bike. The bike is now much more confidence inspiring
and is even a bit "flickable" on the trail. I am thrilled! I am having
trouble including pics so will do so with a comment.